Dr. Pope always knew she was going to become a veterinarian, and when her first spoken word as a young child was ‘Buddy,’ the name of the family dog, her fate was sealed!
Dr. Pope began her academic career as a graduate of Virginia Tech in 2005 and went on to complete veterinary school at the University of Florida. While in veterinary school, she began her training in holistic therapies at the Chi Institute for Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine, and completed certifications in veterinary acupuncture, Chinese herbal therapy, veterinary food therapy and Tui-na prior to graduation. Dr. Pope served as her veterinary school class president for 3 years and president of the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association for the remaining year, and delivered her veterinary school commencement speech in 2011. Dr. Pope went on to complete a rotating internship in small animal medicine and surgery at the University of Pennsylvania in 2012, which was followed by a three-year residency in medical oncology at the University of Pennsylvania. She successfully obtained board certification in her specialty of oncology and became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 2015.
Dr. Pope’s holistic training continues to expand, with current interests including Western herbal medicine as well as intravenous nutrient therapy. She will be enrolling in an intensive two-year herbal training program in Fall 2018 that will prepare her to apply for the certification of Registered Herbalist, the highest accreditation offered in human herbal medicine. She has a strong interest in clinical research and making a difference in the field of veterinary integrative medicine through publications, lecturing and education. Dr. Pope is currently involved in numerous clinical trials, and is energized by collaboration and research with gifted colleagues. Dr. Pope serves on the advisory board for The Brodie Fund, a nonprofit organization that provides grants for owners of pets with cancer, and is also working alongside Monmouth Medical Center to develop and expand their pet therapy services. She serves on the American Board of Veterinary Botanical Medicine and is working toward standardized certification and training programs for veterinary herbalists to become recognized among other veterinary specialties.
Dr. Pope is a New Jersey native and is a devoted fan to Philadelphia’s teams. She enjoys yoga, traveling, salt air and sea waves, eating amazing food, laughing with friends and family and spending quality time with her soul-dog Fritz. She feels blessed to have opened her own practice in 2017 and is beyond grateful to live her passion everyday.
Click on a category below to see details.
2001-2005 – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA – B.S.
- Cum Laude
- Honors Commonwealth Scholar
2007-2011 – University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, Gainesville, FL – D.V.M
- Class President 2007, 2008, 2010
- Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association President 2009, Ex-Officio 2010
- Student Chapter of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Founder President 2009, 2010
2011-2012 – University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA – Small Animal Internship.
2012-2015 – University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA – Medical Oncology Residency.
2016 – Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Oncology (DACVIM-Oncology), ACVIM, Lakewood, CO.
2016 – Certified Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine Practitioner (TCVMP), Chi Institute, Reddick, FL.
2011 – Certified Veterinary Chinese Herbalist (CVCH), Chi Institute, Reddick, FL.
2011 – Certified Veterinary Food Therapist (CVFT), Chi Institute, Reddick, FL.
2009 – Certified Veterinary Tui-na Practitioner (CVTP), Chi Institute, FL.
2009 – Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist (CVA), Chi Institute, FL.
- Pope, K. How to Treat Cancer with Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. World Association of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine; invited lead article. Currently under peer review.
- Pope, K. Safety and Dosing of Intravenous Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) in Tumor-Bearing Animals. Poster abstract. Veterinary Cancer Society Annual Conference,Portland, Oregon, October 2017.
- Pope, K. Integrative Oncology: 2 lecture hours, Integrative Medicine: 1 lecture hour, International Association for Animal Hospice and Palliative Care Annual Conference,Seattle, Washington October 2017..
- Pope, K. Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine in Veterinary Oncology. Small Animal Veterinarian. 2017; 4: 106. Translated into Chinese.
- Pope, K. NJVTA Lecture Hours
- Pope, K. Acupuncture in Conventional Cancer Care. NAVC Clinician’s Brief, September 2016.
- Pope, K. Krick E. Effects of Acupuncture on Chemotherapy-induced Myelosuppression and Gastrointestinal Toxicity in Dogs with Lymphoma: a prospective, randomized clinical trial. Trial in progress.
- Poster abstract. Veterinary Cancer Society, October 2016. Orlando, Florida.
- Poster abstract. Society of Integrative Oncology Annual Conference, Harvard University Medical School. November 2015. Boston, Massachusetts.
- Oral abstract. House Officer Research Day, University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine. 2nd place resident presentation. June 2015. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Poster abstract. American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association Annual Conference. September 2014. Portland, Oregon.
- Grant awarded by the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Foundation
- Pope K, McNeill C, Tun A, Brown DC, Krick E. Outcome and Toxicity Assessment of Feline Small Cell Lymphoma: 56 cases (2000-2010). Veterinary Medicine and Science, Oct 2015; 1(2) 51-62.
- Pope K, Evidence-Based Equine Herbal Medicine. Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, December 2014.
- Pope K, Lyons B, Brown DC, Krick E. The Effects of Supplements on Treatment Outcome and Toxicity for Dogs Receiving Doxorubicin-based Chemotherapy. Poster abstract. Veterinary Cancer Society Annual Conference. October 2013. Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Pope K, Wormer C. Canine Melanoma: Updates on Recommended Treatment. Surgical Oncology Rounds Series. September 2013. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Pope K, Evidence-Based Chinese Herbal Medicine. NAVC Clinician’s Brief, May 2013.
- Pope K, Healthy ways to treat your cat and dog. PetMD.com, January 2013.
- Pope K, Vitamins for Winter Pet Health. Pet360.com, December 2012.
- Pope K, Cioffi K. Feline Injection Site Sarcomas. Surgical Oncology Rounds Series. November 2012. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Pope K, McNeill C, Tun A, Brown DC, Krick E. Outcome and Toxicity Assessment of Feline Small Cell Lymphoma. Poster abstract. Veterinary Cancer Society Annual Conference. October 2012. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Milner R, Pope K. The clinical response to a disialoganglioside (GD3) based melanoma vaccine in naturally occurring canine melanoma. Manuscript in preparation. Intended submission to Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology.
- Pope K, Milner R. University of Florida Melanoma Vaccine Trial: Phase 2 Evaluation. Phi Zeta Research Emphasis Day, Poster abstract. February 7, 2011. University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine. Gainesville, Florida.
- Milner R, Pope, K. A Ganglioside (GD3) based Melanoma Vaccine in Naturally Occurring Canine Melanoma. Cancer Vaccines in Veterinary Medicine, Vaccinology Lecture Series. November 1, 2010. Western Michigan University.
- Slotta TAB, Pope K. Phylogenetics of the Malacothamnus alliance (Malvaceae): Assessing the role of hybridization and molecular and morphological variation in species delineation. PhD Dissertation. June 8, 2004. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
2018 – David Winston Ethno-Botanical Seminar, NY Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medical Association, Phoenicia, NY
2016 – Level I Reiki Practitioner Certification, Unity Healing House, Long Branch, NJ
2016 – Western Herbal Immersion, College of Integrative Veterinary Therapy, Laurel, MD
2016 – Advanced Small Animal Acupuncture Course, Chi Institute for Traditional Chinese Medicine, Reddick, FL
2014 – Clinical Observorship, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Abramson Cancer Center, Integrative Medicine Department, Philadelphia, PA
2014 – Integrative Medicine Program Development Workshop, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2014 – Clinical Observorship, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Eastern Regional Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
2014 – Clinical Observorship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Integrative Medicine Program, New York, NY
2017-Present – Dr. Kendra Pope, LLC, Red Bank, NJ
- Owner, Veterinarian, Integrative Oncology and Veterinary Wellness
2015-2017 – Red Bank Veterinary Hospital, Tinton Falls, Hillsborough Mount Laurel, NJ
- Veterinarian, Integrative Medicine Oncology, Medical Oncology
2012-2015 – Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Service, Levittown, PA
- Veterinarian, Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine
2012-2015 – University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Veterinarian, Medical Oncology
2011-2012 – Saint Francis Veterinary Center, Swedesboro, NJ
- Veterinarian, Emergency Medicine and Acupuncture
2011-2012 – University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Veterinarian, Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
2011 – Veterinary Cancer Society Student Excellence Award
2008-2011 – Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association Activities Award
2008-2011 – University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine Student Ambassador
2010 – J. E. Salsbury Veterinary Medicine Scholarship
2010 – University of Florida Student Government Senator, Veterinary Medicine
2008-2010 – Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association Hill’s Award
2009 – Soderstrom Domaschk Scholarship
2009 – Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association Pfizer Award
2009 – University of Florida Shand’s Board of Directors’ Scholarship
2008 – Florida Veterinary Medical Association Scholarship
2007-2008 – William and Clara Strickland Inman Graduate Fellowship
2008 – American Veterinary Medical Association Veterinary Leadership Experience
2007 – University of Florida Veterinary Medicine Grant
2007 – Priscilla Henderson Scholarship
2018-Present – American College of Veterinary Botanical Medicine (ACVMB)
- Organizational Committee/Taskforce
2017-Present – American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association (AHVMA)
2017-Present – Veterinary Botanical Medicine Association (VBMA)
2015-Present – Resources for Alternative and Integrative Veterinary Education (RAIVE) Evaluator
2015-2017 – Veterinary Information Network (VIN) Contributor – Alternative Medicine Folder
2015-Present – American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM)
2014-Present – Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO)
- Education Committee Nov 2014 –Nov 2017
2013-Present – Peer reviewer for North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) Clinician’s Brief
2012-Present – American Association of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (AATCVM)
2011-Present – Veterinary Cancer Society (VCS)
2011-Present – American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
2018-Present – The Brodie Fund, 501c3 organization providing treatment to pets diagnosed with cancer
- Advisory Board Member
- Grant-eligible Practice Owner